24th INTERNATION AL COMPETITION
FOR PIANOFORTE AND ORCHESTRA
CITTA’ DI CANTU’
5 – 11 MAY 2014
1. The CITTÀ DI CANTÙ piano competition is reserved to pianists of all nationalities born after December 31st, 1978.
2. Candidates must send their applicati form, duly filled in, within April 24th 2014 (please send us by e-mail the application sent by post) to the Competition Secretary’s Office, enclosing the following documents:
- Copy of identification document
- 1 size photo
- curriculum Vitae (English)
- Payment of 90 € (euro) addressed to:
Nuova Scuola di Musica di Cantù
“Città di Cantù” via Pontida, 5
22063 CANTÙ (Co) - ITALIA
IT61 X 07601 10900 000054801691
Cassa Rurale ed Artigiana di Cantù
IT77 A 08430 51060 000000985428
Swift: ACAR IT 22
3. Candidates will not be admitted to the contest without the payment of the entrance fee. This sum will not be reimbursed for any reason.
4. Before beginning the first test, candidates must show documents proving their identity to the competition secretary.
5. The jury’s decisions are final and irrevocable.
6. Those members who have or have had, during the two years before Competition, didactic relationships with one or more competitors, must retain from taking part in the discussion and in the voting during the above-mentioned competitors’ examinations. The abstention must be clearly reported in the minutes. During the first meeting, each member of the Jury must sign a statement about his/her personal situation towards the participants with reference to the above
7. In case two candidates are joint winners of a prize, the jury can divide the reward in equal parts.
8. The jury can decide not to give any reward if they think no candidate is worthy.
9. The performances are to be given by heart.
10.The competition includes 3 stages:
- a preliminary test with a second piano;
- a semi-final test with orchestra;
- a final test with orchestra.
All performances will be open to the public.
11. The winners will play free in the award giving concert. A possible refusal will involve the cancellation of the award.
12. For the preliminary test candidates will have a second pianist at their disposal. The official second pianist will be at candidate’s disposal for the free practices on 3rd and 4th May. However it is possible to come with own accompanist. The programme order of the free practices and of the preliminary test will be communicated in time to the candidates.
13. In case of radio or television productions or tape and/or video recordings of the tests, the participating candidates have no right to advance claims or financial request towards producers or transmitters.
A concert for piano and orchestra chosen among the following ones:
Bach: BWV 1052, 1053, 1054, 1055, 1056, 1057, 1058
Haydn: D major
Mozart: KV 271, 414, 415, 453, 466, 467, 488, 491, 503, 537, 595
Chopin: 1st, 2nd
Schumann: A minor
Liszt: 1st, 2nd - Totentanz
Franck: Symphonic variation
Brahms: 1st, 2nd
Grieg: A minor
Saint-Saëns: 2nd, 5th
Ravel: G major
Rachmaninov: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Rhapsody on Paganini’s theme
Gershwin: F major
Rhapsody in blue
Prokofiev: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
15. Candidates will be able to enter themselves for both sections after having paid two enrolment fees.
5th - 6th - 7th May:
The first movement with second piano.
8th and 9th May:
semi-final with Orchestra.
Second and third movement.
32 candidates will be admitted.
final with Orchestra
Performance of the whole concert.
Gala Concert of the winners
at Teatro Sociale - Como.
17. The candidates awarded at the “Città di Cantù” piano competition pledge that in the future they will use the title actually given by the jury. For any controversy the court of Como will be competent.
18. Participation to the competition implies the tacit consent of the above.
19. If there is dispute about the interpretation of the regulations, the valid text will be the Italian one.
Nuova Scuola di Musica di Cantù
Tel +39 335.7041043
Fax +39 031.706418
To the first 40 applicants the organization will offer hospitality in families (bed and breakfast).
If candidates want hospitality in families they will ask for it in their application form.